- (Brazil) IPA(key): /po.su.ˈi(ʁ)/
- (Paulista) IPA(key): /ˌpo.su.ˈi(ɹ)/
- (South Brazil) IPA(key): /ˌpo.su.ˈi(ɻ)/
- Hyphenation: pos‧su‧ir
- to possess; to have; to own
- Possuo dois automóveis.
- (I) have two automobiles.
- to have as a quality or characteristic
- Esta frase possui cinco palavras.
- This phrase has five words.
- to control; to hold (exercise influence over)
- O cristianismo possuia a Europa durante a Idade Média.
- Christianity controlled Europe during the Middle Ages.
- (spiritualism) to possess (to take control of someone’s body or mind in a supernatural manner)
- Graças ao exorcismo, João livrou-se do demônio que o havia possuído.
- Thanks to the exorcism, John got rid of the demon who had possessed him.
- to overwhelm (to overpower emotionally)
- O medo nos possuiu.
- Fear overwhelmed us.
- (proscribed) to have (to be related to)
- Eu possuo dois filhos.
- I have two children
Conjugation of the Portuguese -ir verb possuir
- (to own): deter, haver (obsolete), ter
- (to have as a quality or characteristic):, conter, ter
- (to control):, controlar, dominar, subjugar
- (to overwhelm emotionally):, dominar
- (to have as a quality or characteristic):, carecer de
- (to possess in a supernatural manner):, exorcisar