- (Received Pronunciation, General American) enPR: rāz, IPA(key): /ɹeɪz/
Audio (GA) (file)
- Homophones: raise, rase, rays
- Rhymes: -eɪz
- (transitive) To demolish; to level to the ground.
- 2017 May 13, Barney Ronay, “Antonio Conte’s brilliance has turned Chelsea’s pop-up team into champions”, in The Guardian, London:
- Just as significant in the long term, Chelsea were also granted permission this season for their new on-site mega-stadium, a 60,000-seat upgrade that will mean the current Stamford Bridge is razed and replaced by something that looks like a vast alien space yurt made of giant Martian redwood stems.
- (transitive) To scrape as if with a razor.
- See also Thesaurus:destroy
to scrape as if with a razor
- Obsolete spelling of (rhizome of ginger).
raze (plural razes)