See also: Stocking
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈstɑkɪŋ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈstɒkɪŋ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒkɪŋ
stocking (plural stockings)
- A soft garment, usually knit or woven, worn on the foot and lower leg under shoes or other footwear.
- a pair of stockings
- A broad ring of a different fur colour on the lower part of the leg of a quadruped.
- A knitted hood of cotton thread which is eventually converted by a special process into an incandescent mantle for gas lighting.
- Stocking may refer either to men's socks or to women's hose, but rarely to socks when worn by women. However, this usage appears somewhat variable.
terms derived from stocking (noun)
garment (for translations of "sock", see sock)
- (forestry) A ratio of the actual density of trees in an area to the ideal density that would make the fullest use of the land.
- stocking in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911