- (idiomatic, intransitive, followed by "in") To participate or join.
- He declined to take part in the meeting because he did not feel he had anything to add.
- (idiomatic) To share or partake.
1829, Jabez Burns, The Christian's sketch book, page 96:
- So didst thou love man, that thou wouldest take part with him of his misery, that he might take part with thee of thy blessedness.
- They had cake and ice cream, but he did not take part.
- (dated) To support or ally oneself (with).
1820, Charles Kitchell Gardner, The Literary and Scientific Repository, and Critical Review:
- Yet we take part, on the whole, with the author : — and heartily wish him success in the great object of vindicating his country from unmerited aspersions, and trying to make us, in England, ashamed of the vices and defects which he has taken the trouble to point out in our national character and institutions.
1824, The Parliamentary Debates - Volume 9, page 195:
- When the Spaniards were formerly contending against France, the noble earl said he felt for them, but he then recommended a cautious and prudent line of conduct to this country, and advised us not to take part with Spain.
1891, William Logan, A Collection of Treaties, Engagements, and Other Papers of Importance, ISBN 8120604490, page 61:
- At any time, if the French or any country Powers of Malabar shall design to come against the Honourable English Company, or the said Honourable English Company shall propose going against any of the above mentioned, I oblige myself, by this writing, to act entirely on the part of the Honourable English Company, and to assist them readily with 300 men armed with my fire arms, at all times that the Chief of Tellicherry shall advise or ask me, and in no respect will I take part with them, who may be the Honourable Company's enemies.
participate or join
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked