From Middle English *worthles, from Old English weorþlēas (“worthless”), equivalent to worth + -less. Cognate with Dutch waardeloos (“worthless”), German wertlos (“worthless”), Swedish värdelös (“worthless”).
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈwɝθləs/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈwɜːθləs/
Audio (US) (file)
- Having no worth or use; without value.
- Synonyms: miserable, useless, valueless, inconsequential
- Antonyms: precious, useful, valuable, worthful, worthy
- Lies are as important as truth, for without lies, the truth is worthless.
- The committee's decision is worthless and not going to be acted upon.
- Don't be a worthless slouch! Go get yourself a job.
not having worth and use, without value, inconsequential