See also: 没
沒 (Kangxi radical 85, 水+4, 7 strokes, cangjie input 水弓水 (ENE), four-corner 37147, composition ⿰氵⿱勹又)
- 没 (Japanese shinjitai and simplified Chinese)
- 𠬠 (Vietnamese chữ nôm)
- KangXi: page 611, character 10
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 17204
- Dae Jaweon: page 1004, character 3
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 3, page 1571, character 2
- Unihan data for U+6C92
|Historical forms of the character 沒|
|Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)||Liushutong (compiled in Ming)|
|Small seal script||Transcribed ancient scripts|
Characters in the same phonetic series (沒) (Zhengzhang, 2003)
Phono-semantic compound (形聲, OC *mɯːd): semantic 水 (“water”) + phonetic 𠬛 ().
|2nd round simp.||殳|
|alternative forms||⿰氵𠬛 1981 2nd round simp.|
Possibly a colloquial variant of 勿 (MC mɨut̚) or 未 (MC mʉiH), which fused with or was influenced by 有 (MC ɦɨuX); not derived from 沒 (OC *mɯːd, “to dive; to drown”) (Schuessler, 2007).
- not have; there is not; to be without
- to be not so ... as (when comparing)
- less than; no more than
- Negative prefix for verb 有 (yǒu, “to have”).
- have not or did not (negative prefix for verbs, translated into other languages with verbs in the past tense)
- (euphemistic, colloquial) to pass away
Derived terms from 沒
According to Schuessler (2007), formed from the convergence of two etyma:
- Proto-Sino-Tibetan *mit (“to extinguish”). The i ~ u alternation is a common phenomenon in Sino-Tibetan.
- An etymon meaning "to dive", whence Burmese မြုပ် (mrup, “to sink; to be submerged”), which is a loan from Proto-Mon-Khmer *(b)ləp (“to immerse”) according to Shorto (1972).
Unrelated to etymology 1.
- to drown; to sink; to submerge; to inundate
- to rise beyond; to cover; to overflow
- 照例到了冬天，野外全是灰黃色的枯草，又高又密，腳踏下去簌簌地響，有時沒到你的腿彎上。 [MSC, trad.]
- From: 1934 , Mao Dun, in 方铭 (ed.), 茅盾散文选集, Tianjin: 百花文艺出版社, →ISBN, p. 115-118
- Zhàolì dào le dōngtiān, yěwài quán shì huī huáng sè de kūcǎo, yòu gāo yòu mì, jiǎo tà xiàqù sùsù dì xiǎng, yǒushí mò dào nǐ de tuǐwān shàng. [Pinyin]
- (please add an English translation of this example)
照例到了冬天，野外全是灰黄色的枯草，又高又密，脚踏下去簌簌地响，有时没到你的腿弯上。 [MSC, simp.]
- to end; to finish
- to disappear; to vanish
- to confiscate
- (literary) Alternative form of 歿／殁 (mò, “to die; to pass away”).
- 子曰：「父在，觀其志；父沒，觀其行；三年無改於父之道，可謂孝矣。」 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: The Analects of Confucius, c. 475 – 221 BCE, translated based on James Legge's version
- Zǐ yuē: “Fù zài, guān qí zhì; fù mò, guān qí xíng; sān nián wú gǎi yú fù zhī dào, kěwèi xiào yǐ.” [Pinyin]
- The Master said, "While a man's father is alive, look at the bent of his will; when his father is dead, look at his conduct. If for three years he does not alter from the way of his father, he may be called filial."
子曰：“父在，观其志；父没，观其行；三年无改于父之道，可谓孝矣。” [Classical Chinese, simp.]
Derived terms from 沒
沒: Hán Việt readings: một
沒: Nôm readings: mốt, một