First attested in the Seokbo sangjeol (釋譜詳節 / 석보상절), 1447, as Middle Korean 일홈 (Yale: ilhwom).
Also attested in the Worin seokbo (月印釋譜 / 월인석보), 1459, as Middle Korean 일훔 (Yale: ilhwum).
Combination of 잃다 (ilta, “to name”) + 옴 (om, nominal suffix creating action nouns).
- IPA(key): [iɾɯm]
- Phonetic hangeul: [이름]
|Revised Romanization (translit.)?
이름 • (ireum)
- name (A word used to refer to or address an animal, object, phenomenon, etc., to distinguish it from others.)
- name; given name
- name; full name
저는 그의 이름을 알아요.
- Jeoneun geuui ireumeul arayo.
- I know his name.
이름을 전부 쓰세요.
- Ireumeul jeonbu sseuseyo.
- Put your full name.
- name; identify
- name; reputation; honor
- name (Something that one presents as an excuse or cause when he/she wants to engage in an undertaking.)
- name (Authority or power that one depends on for support.)
- (computing) username
- (honorific) 성함 (姓銜, seongham, “name”)