- (cat): Thaï
Borrowed from Thai ไทย (tai). Doublet of Tai and Dai.
Thai (comparative more Thai, superlative most Thai)
- Of or pertaining to Thailand.
of or pertaining to Thailand
Thai (countable and uncountable, plural Thai or Thais)
- (countable) A person living in or coming from Thailand.
- 1958, Russell H. Fifield, The Diplomacy of Southeast Asia: 1945-1958, New York: Harper & Brothers, →LCCN, →OCLC, →OL, page 263:
- The Bangkok government indicated real concern over the developments in Communist China’s Yunnan province. Thai officials were afraid that Sibsongpanna would be a center where pro-Communist Thai in Southeast Asia would go and where subversive agitation could be directed against outside legitimate governments.
- A domestic cat breed.
- (uncountable) The main language spoken in Thailand (closely related to Lao).
- (uncountable) Thai cuisine; traditional Thai food.
- (person) Thailander
- (language) Thailandish
person from Thailand or of Thai origin
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- Thai Cat on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Thaï cats on Wikimedia Commons.Wikimedia Commons
- Wiktionary’s coverage of Thai terms
- Appendix:Thai Swadesh list for a Swadesh list of basic vocabulary words in Thai
- Thai–English Dictionary: from Webster’s Dictionary — the Rosetta Edition.
- ISO 639-1 code th, ISO 639-3 code tha (SIL)
- Ethnologue entry for Thai, tha
(This etymology is missing or incomplete. Please add to it, or discuss it at the Etymology scriptorium.)
Thai m (plural Thai or Thais)
- A Thai person.