- Not essential; incidental, secondary. [from 14th c.]
- (philosophy) Nonessential to something's inherent nature (especially in Aristotelian thought). [from 14th c.]
- (music) Adjusted by one or two semitones, in temporary departure from the key signature. [from 16th c.]
- Occurring sometimes, by chance; occasional. [from 16th c.]
- Happening by chance, or unexpectedly; taking place not according to the usual course of things; by accident, unintentional. [from 16th c.]
- (geometry) Being a double point with two distinct tangent planes in 4-dimensional projective space.
- (not essential): circumstantial, incidental; See also Thesaurus:circumstantial
- (nonessential to something's inherent nature): See also Thesaurus:extrinsic
- (happening by chance): adventitious, casual, contingent, fortuitous, incidental, occasional, serendipitous; See also Thesaurus:accidental
happening by chance
accidental (plural accidentals)
- A property which is not essential; a nonessential; anything happening accidentally.
- 1662, Fuller, Worthies of England:
- He conceived it just that accidentals ... should sink with the substance of the accusation.
- (painting, plural only) Those fortuitous effects produced by luminous rays falling on certain objects so that some parts stand forth in abnormal brightness and other parts are cast into a deep shadow.
- (music) A sharp, flat, or natural, occurring not at the commencement of a piece of music as the signature, but before a particular note.
a property which is not essential
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- Rhymes: -al
accidental (masculine and feminine plural accidentals)
declension of accidental
- Eagle, Andy, editor (2016) The Online Scots Dictionary, Scots Online.
- (Castilian) IPA(key): /aɡθidenˈtal/, [aɣθiðẽn̪ˈt̪al]
- (Latin America) IPA(key): /aɡsidenˈtal/, [aɣsiðẽn̪ˈt̪al]
accidental (plural accidentales)
accidental m (plural accidentales)