boule (plural boules)
- One of the bowls used in the French game of boules.
- A single-crystal ingot produced by synthetic means.
- A round loaf of bread.
- A round piece of dough
- (woodworking) A through-sawn log with the slices restacked in the order and orientation they originally had in the log, usually with waney edges.
1986, Fine woodworking on wood and how to dry it, page 42:
- Behind him is lumber 'sawn in the boule.' Wood is more commonly sawn in this manner in Europe and is stacked in the order it comes from the log.
2017 August 14, American Woodworker, number 46, page 41:
- Specialty lumber dealers can cut and sticker a log "in the boule," so that boards hold the same relative position they had before milling
1991 August, American Woodworker, number 21, page 47:
- A live-sawn log kept as a unit is known as a boule
2005, Andy Rae, Workshop Idea Book, page 94:
- IN THE BOULE. If you work with whole logs, allocate enough space for storing flitch-cut planks in the order they were sawn. Their sheer bulk helps keep them flat, and stacking in order makes sequential matching for color and grain much easier
- (woodworking) Alternative form of
boule (plural boules)
From Middle French boule, from Old French bole (“knob”), from Old Frankish *bolla, *bollo (“ball, bun, bowl, cup”), from Proto-Germanic *bullǭ (“round object, ball, bowl”), from Proto-Indo-European *bʰln- (“round object”), from Proto-Indo-European *bʰel- (“to blow, swell, inflate”). Cognate with Dutch bol (“ball, sphere, scoop”), German Bolle (“bulb”). More at bowl.
boule f (plural boules)
- ball, globe
- bowl (in the game of bowls)
- Il jette la boule.
- "He throws the bowl."
- scoop (of e.g. ice cream)
- 2 boules de glace.
- "2 scoops of ice cream."
- (informal) head or face
- (France, slang) ball, testicle
- (Quebec, slang) tit, breast
boule m (plural boules)
- first-person singular present indicative of
- third-person singular present indicative of
- first-person singular present subjunctive of
- third-person singular present subjunctive of
- second-person singular imperative of
- “boule” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).