Navy Bakers Knead, Cut, Whip, and Roll Dough
From Middle English dow, dogh, dagh, from Old English dāh, dāg (“dough”), from Proto-Germanic *daigaz (“dough”), from Proto-Indo-European *dʰeyǵʰ- (“to knead, form, mold”). Cognate with Scots daich, dauch, doach (“dough”), West Frisian daai (“dough”), Dutch deeg (“dough”), Low German Deeg (“dough”), German Teig (“dough”), Danish dej (“dough”), Swedish deg (“dough”), Icelandic deig (“dough”).
dough (usually uncountable, plural doughs)
- A thick, malleable substance made by mixing flour with other ingredients such as water, eggs, and/or butter, that is made into a particular form and then baked.
- Pizza dough is very stretchy.
- (slang) Money.
- His mortgage payments left him short on dough.
- Hey Martin, we are playing a hold'em card game for some dough, would you like to join?
mix of flour and other ingredients
- Albanian: brumë (sq) f
- Arabic: عَجِين m (ʿajīn), عَجِينَة f (ʿajīna)
- Moroccan Arabic: عْجينة f (ʿjina)
- Hebrew: לישא m (layšā, layšo)
- Syriac: ܠܝܫܐ m (layšā, layšo)
- Armenian: խմոր (hy) (xmor)
- Aromanian: aloat, aluat
- Azerbaijani: xəmir (az)
- Bashkir: ҡамыр (qamïr)
- Basque: ore
- Belarusian: це́ста n (cjésta)
- Bulgarian: те́сто (bg) n (tésto)
- Catalan: pasta (ca) f, massa (ca) f
- Mandarin: 麵團 (zh), 面团 (zh) (miàntuán), 生麵糰 (zh), 生面团 (shēngmiàntuán)
- Chuvash: чуста (čusta)
- Crimean Tatar: qamır
- Czech: těsto (cs) n
- Danish: dej (da) c
- Dutch: deeg (nl) n
- Esperanto: pasto (eo)
- Estonian: taigen
- Faroese: deiggj n
- Finnish: taikina (fi), tahdas (fi)
- French: pâte (fr) f
- Galician: masa f, amoado (gl) m
- Georgian: ცომი (comi)
- German: Teig (de) m
- Greek: ζύμη (el) f (zými)
- Hebrew: בָּצֵק (he) m (batsék)
- Hindi: आटा (hi) m (āṭā)
- Hungarian: tészta (hu)
- Icelandic: deig n
- Ido: pasto (io)
- Indonesian: adonan (id)
- Irish: taos (ga) m
- Italian: pasta (it) f, impasto (it) m
- Japanese: 生地 (ja) (きじ, kiji), 練り粉 (ねりこ, neriko)
- Kazakh: қамыр (qamır)
- Khmer: ម្សៅលាបទឹក (msav liep tɨk)
- Korean: 떡 (ko) (tteok), 반죽 (ko) (banjuk)
- Kumyk: хамур (xamur)
- Kurmanji: hevîr (ku) m
- Sorani: ههویر (ku) (hewîr)
dough (third-person singular simple present doughs, present participle doughing, simple past and past participle doughed)
- (transitive) To make into dough.
- The flour was doughed with a suitable quantity of water.