- (transitive) to rely on, trust, or expect
- Don't count on being able to get back into the building after 5pm.
- Can we count on you to help out?
- He was brewer to the palace; and it was apprehended that the government counted on his voice.
- 1999, Survivor, Chuck Palahniuk
- The first time you meet that someone special, you can count on them one day being dead and in the ground.
- 2001, Builder's Guide to Accounting
- Or perhaps something unusual occurred in the current period that you can't count on to repeat itself.
- 2009, USA Today - Going green: Young talent cuts costs, builds continuity
- "Hopefully you can count on them for a long period of time. Quite frankly, not often do you give those players up."
rely upon, trust, or expect