hybrid (plural hybrids)
- (biology) Offspring resulting from cross-breeding different entities, e.g. two different species or two purebred parent strains.
- Something of mixed origin or composition; often, a tool or technology that combines the benefits of formerly separate tools or technologies.
- (linguistics) A word whose elements are derived from different languages.
- A hybrid vehicle (especially a car), one that runs on both fuel (gasoline/diesel) and electricity (battery or energy from the sun).
- All our family drive hybrids because they're greener.
- (cycling) A bicycle that is a compromise between a road bike and a mountain bike.
- (golf) A golf club that combines the characteristics of an iron and a wood.
- An electronic circuit constructed of individual devices bonded to a substrate or PCB.
- A computer that is part analog computer and part digital computer.
Derived terms Edit
biology: offspring resulting from crossbreeding
something of mixed origin
word derived from different languages
car that runs on both fuel and electricity
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
- Consisting of diverse components.
- a hybrid mix of jazz and punk
- (of a car) Running on both fuel (gasoline/diesel) and electricity (battery or energy from the sun).
- 2022, N. K. Jemisin, The World We Make, Orbit, page 270:
- Brooklyn has opted for hybrid SUVs, at least, to show environmental consciousness.
consisting of diverse components
Related terms Edit
See also Edit
- hybrid, page 216, chapter: A Miscegenation Vocabulary in Interracialism, Terms from the Oxford English Dictionary, book: Black White Intermarriage in American History, Literature and Law, Edited by Werner Sollor, Oxford University Press, 2000 
- “hybrid”, in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, Springfield, Mass.: G. & C. Merriam, 1913, →OCLC.
- “hybrid”, in The Century Dictionary […], New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911, →OCLC.
- hybrid at OneLook Dictionary Search
Norwegian Bokmål Edit
- a hybrid
- “hybrid” in The Bokmål Dictionary.
Norwegian Nynorsk Edit
- a hybrid
- “hybrid” in The Nynorsk Dictionary.
- (biology) a hybrid
- (figurative) a hybrid (mix of things)
- Synonym: blandning
|Declension of hybrid|
hybrid (not comparable)
Usage notes Edit
The singular indefinite neuter is avoided according to the references, but "hybrit" is what would intuitively be expected (and is attested).
|Inflection of hybrid|
|1) Only used, optionally, to refer to things whose natural gender is masculine.|
2) The indefinite superlative forms are only used in the predicative.
3) Dated or archaic