- Being or occurring (farther) inside, situated farther in, located (situated) or happening on the inside of something, situated within or farther within contained within something.
- inner door; inner room; inner sanctum; inner surface
- Close to the centre, located near or closer to center.
- the inner suburbs
- Inside or closer to the inside of the body.
- inner ear
- Of mind or spirit, relating to the mind or spirit, to spiritual or mental processes, mental, spiritual, relating to somebody's private feelings or happening in somebody's mind, existing as an often repressed part of one's psychological makeup.
- inner confidence; inner strength; inner life; inner child; inner artist; inner peace; inner light
2012 May 20, Nathan Rabin, “TV: Review: THE SIMPSONS (CLASSIC): “Marge Gets A Job” (season 4, episode 7; originally aired 11/05/1992)”, The Onion AV Club:
- Bart spies an opportunity to make a quick buck so he channels his inner carny and posits his sinking house as a natural wonder of the world and its inhabitants as freaks, barking to dazzled spectators, “Behold the horrors of the Slanty Shanty! See the twisted creatures that dwell within! Meet Cue-Ball, the man with no hair!”
- Not obvious, private, not expressed, not apparent, hidden, less apparent, deeper, obscure, ; innermost or essential, needing to be examined closely or thought about in order to be seen or understood.
- inner meaning; inner resources; inner logic
- Privileged, more or most privileged, more or most influential, intimate, exclusive, more important, more intimate, private, secret, confined to an exclusive group, exclusive to a center; especially a center of influence being near a center especially of influence.
- inner circle; inner council
1922, Ben Travers, chapter 2, A Cuckoo in the Nest:
- Mother […] considered that the exclusiveness of Peter's circle was due not to its distinction, but to the fact that it was an inner Babylon of prodigality and whoredom, from which every Kensingtonian held aloof, except on the conventional tip-and-run excursions in pursuit of shopping, tea and theatres.
being or occurring inside
inner (plural inners)
- An inner part.
- A forward who plays in or near the center of the field.
- (cricket) A thin glove worn inside batting gloves or wicket-keeping gloves.
- Hyphenation: in‧ner
- collector (of taxes)
inner (not comparable)
Declension of inner
|number & gender||singular||plural|
|predicative||er ist inner||sie ist inner||es ist inner||sie sind inner|
(with definite article)
|nominative||der innere||die innere||das innere||die inneren|
|genitive||des inneren||der inneren||des inneren||der inneren|
|dative||dem inneren||der inneren||dem inneren||den inneren|
|accusative||den inneren||die innere||das innere||die inneren|
(with indefinite article)
|nominative||ein innerer||eine innere||ein inneres||(keine) inneren|
|genitive||eines inneren||einer inneren||eines inneren||(keiner) inneren|
|dative||einem inneren||einer inneren||einem inneren||(keinen) inneren|
|accusative||einen inneren||eine innere||ein inneres||(keine) inneren|