- (engineering) To put in alignment; to put in correct adjustment for smooth running.
- (transitive) To put things in a line.
- (intransitive) To get into a line.
- 1962 April, J. N. Faulkner, “Summer Saturday at Waterloo”, in Modern Railways, page 263:
- For the steam services, passengers with reserved seats are assembled behind the appropriate notice boards in the centre cab road, which is barred to motor traffic on summer Saturdays. Unreserved passengers line up behind other boards, which merely display destinations and not departure times.
- (intransitive, sports) To start a game in a certain position on the playing field.
- 2011 February 6, Alistair Magowan, “West Ham 0 - 1 Birmingham”, in BBC:
- The Nigerian forward lined up on the left of a front three with Keane in the middle and Frederic Piquionne on the right, and it was from Keane's lay-off that the former Portsmouth striker curled a shot straight at Ben Foster on 20 minutes.
- To make arrangements for an event.
- A number of famous actors and musicians have been lined up for the celebrations.
- 1992 October, Steve Buckley, “Boss Hog: Jim Lachey is the best offensive lineman in football playing on the best team in football”, in Sport, volume 83, number 10, →ISSN, page 63:
- OK, with this guy being so great, the best offensive lineman in football, we lined up an interview. We showed up at Redskin Park in suburban Washington, D.C., near Dulles Airport, on a beautiful morning for a chat with this Jim Lachey.
- To support a group or movement.
- 2012 April 23, Angelique Chrisafis, “François Hollande on top but far right scores record result in French election”, in the Guardian:
- The final vote between Hollande and Sarkozy now depends on a delicate balance of how France's total of rightwing and leftwing voters line up.
- To agree or correspond.
- 2017 December 1, Tom Breihan, “Mad Max: Fury Road might already be the best action movie ever made”, in The Onion AV Club:
- Fury Road is a long way away from being a political tract, but it is a story about heroic women overcoming the influence of a predatory, proprietary, evil man, and I do think that matters. In any case, I’ve been doing my best to enjoy politically repellant action movies for my entire life, and I can’t even tell you how great it is that my favorite action movie of all time happens to have ideas about life that line up with my own. That’s one of Fury Road’s many miracles.
put in alignment
put things in a line
get into a line
sports: to start a game in a certain position
- A haircut where the front region of a person's hair is shaved to form a crisp line between their hair and the shaved region, sometimes coordinated to create a smooth transition between their hair and beard.