Audio (US) (file)
stronghold (plural strongholds)
- A fortress
- A place of refuge, survival or domination by a particular group or idea
The last stronghold of the Cornish language.
2017 July 7, Ignatiy Vishnevetsky, “The ambitious War For The Planet Of The Apes ends up surrendering to formula”, in The Onion AV Club:
- It’s in this horse-opera mode that War For The Planet Of The Apes finds its most rewarding rhythms: in the parallels between Caesar’s woodland stronghold and the archetypal frontier settlements of Western fiction
- 1826, Mary Shelley, The Last Man, part 1, chapter 10
- […] the Turks at once resolved to crush an enemy [the Greeks], which creeping on by degrees, had from their stronghold in the Morea, acquired Thrace and Macedonia, and had led their armies even to the gates of Constantinople […]
- 2017 August 25, Aukkarapon Niyomyat & Panarat Thepgumpanat, "Thai junta seeks Yingluck's arrest as former PM skips court verdict", in reuters.com, Reuters:
In the northeastern province Khon Kaen, a Shinawatra stronghold, a leader of the red shirt political movement that supports Yingluck said her supporters felt frustrated.
a place of refuge, survival or domination