- temperaunce (obsolete)
Audio (US) (file)
temperance (plural temperances)
- Habitual moderation in regard to the indulgence of the natural appetites and passions; restrained or moderate indulgence; moderation; as, temperance in eating and drinking; temperance in the indulgence of joy or mirth; specifically, moderation, and sometimes abstinence, in respect to using intoxicating liquors.
- Moderation of passion; patience; calmness; sedateness.
- One of the seven heavenly virtues.
- (obsolete) State with regard to heat or cold; temperature.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Shakespeare to this entry?)
terms derived from the noun temperance
moderation of passion
one of seven virtues
state with regard to heat or cold — see temperature
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.