See also: 礼尚往来
- 禮尚往來，往而不來，非禮也，來而不往，亦非禮也。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: The Book of Rites, circa 4th – 2nd century BCE
- Lǐ shàng wǎnglái, wǎng ér bù lái, fēilǐ yě, lái ér bù wǎng, yì fēilǐ yě. [Pinyin]
- Li places an importance on the extending and receiving (of it). If it is extended, but not received, (this) is not li. If it is received, but not extended, (this) is likewise not li.
礼尚往来，往而不来，非礼也，来而不往，亦非礼也。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- to reciprocate the courtesy shown to you by another; to treat others as you would like to be treated