- (noun suffix) Added to a verb to form a noun.
- fut (“to run”) → futás (“running”)
- ír (“to write”) → írás (“document / writing”)
- lakik (“to live”) → lakás (“dwelling, home, flat”)
- (noun suffix) Harmonic variants:
- -ás is added to back vowel words
- -és is added to front vowel words
- The suffix can be attached to any verb to make a noun that expresses the action or the process described by the verb itself, essentially like a gerund:
- olvas (“to read”) → olvasás (“reading”)
- eszik (“to eat”) → evés (“eating”)
- Besides this meaning, for some verbs, the created noun also expresses the result or measurement (extent) of the process or action:
- ír (“to write”) → írás (“the act of writing / document”)
- fizet (“to pay”) → fizetés (“the act of paying / salary”)
- Note: for other verbs the result may be expressed by -mány, -vány, -alom, -at, -ék, -ály, -ám, -am, etc.