- IPA(key): /ˈnɑːtsi/, /ˈnætsi/, /ˈnæzi/ (the first pronunciation more closely matches the German pronunciation [näːtsi] and is more common than the second; the third is historical)
Audio (US historical); "Japs and Nazis" (file)
Nazi (plural Nazis)
- (historical) A member of the National Socialist German Workers Party (Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei, commonly called the NSDAP or Nazi Party).
- One who subscribes to or advocates (neo-)Nazism or a similarly fascist, racist, xenophobic, ethnicist or anti-Semitic ideology; a neo-Nazi.
- (slang, usually pejorative, sometimes offensive, see usage notes below) One who imposes one’s views on others; one who is considered unfairly oppressive or needlessly strict. (also frequently uncapitalised: nazi)
- She’s a total grammar Nazi.
- (ethnic slur) Anybody of German descent.
- (one who imposes one’s views on others): As actual Nazis practiced genocide and were responsible for the murder of millions of people during the Second World War, this flippant use is sometimes considered to be offensive and in very poor taste. It is sometimes used to offend, intentionally (e.g. when trolling) or out of anger.
member of the Nazi party
- (historical) Of or pertaining to the Nazi Party (NSDAP) specifically, or to Nazism, neo-Nazism, or neo-Nazis more generally.
- (by extension) Racist, xenophobic, ethnicist or anti-Semitic.
- (by extension) Totalitarian.
pertaining to the Nazi Party or Nazism
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- (offensive) Synonym of
- Sorry, we don’t speak Nazi.
Representing the pronunciation of Nati in Nationalsozialist (‘National Socialist’).
- a member or (ideological) supporter of the NSDAP or Nazism; a National Socialist
- A general, extremely strong insult, chiefly for someone right-wing, authoritarian or xenophobic.
- (used attributively) An expression of strong contempt for someone or something right-wing, authoritarian or xenophobic, as in Nazischwein, Nazijournalismus, etc.
The plural "Nazi" is only used in Austria.
Declension of Nazi
- Nazipropaganda (1)
- Nazi in Duden online