- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈbɔːn/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈbɔɹn/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɔː(ɹ)n
- Homophones: borne, bourn, bourne (most accents), bawn (non-rhotic accents)
- past participle of ; given birth to, birthed.
- (obsolete) past participle of in other senses.
- In some monasteries the severity of the clausure is hard to be born.
be born — see be born
born (not comparable)
- Having from birth (or as if from birth) a certain quality or character; innate; inherited.
- 1942, Storm Jameson, Then we shall hear singing: a fantasy in C major
- I ought really to have called him my sergeant. He's a born sergeant. That's as much as to say he's a born scoundrel.
given birth to
Dialectal variant of burn.
born (plural borns)
- The New Geordie Dictionary, Frank Graham, 1987, →ISBN
- Newcastle 1970s, Scott Dobson and Dick Irwin,