See also: Caster
- (UK, General Australian, General New Zealand) IPA(key): /ˈkɑːstə(r)/, /ˈkæstə(r)/
Audio (UK) (file)
- (US, Canada) IPA(key): /ˈkæstər/
- Rhymes: -ɑːstə(r)
- Homophone: castor
caster (plural casters)
- Someone or something that casts
- a caster of spells; a caster of stones; a caster of bronze statuary
- A wheeled assembly attached to a larger object at its base to facilitate rolling. A caster usually consists of a wheel (which may be plastic, a hard elastomer, or metal), an axle, a mounting provision (usually a stem, flange, or plate), and sometimes a swivel (which allows the caster to rotate for steering).
- Many office chairs roll on a set of casters.
- A shaker with a perforated top for sprinkling condiments such as sugar, salt, pepper, etc.
- a set of casters
- A stand to hold a set of shakers or cruets.
- (automotive) The angle of the axis around which a car's front wheels rotate when the steering wheel is turned, with a vertical axis being defined as zero caster.
someone or something that casts
shaker with perforated top
- To act as a caster