Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for equip in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)
From French équiper (“to supply, fit out”), originally said of a ship, Old French esquiper (“to embark”); of Germanic origin, most probably from Proto-Germanic *skipōną (“to ship, sail, embark”); akin to Gothic 𐍃𐌺𐌹𐍀 (skip, “ship”). Compare with Old High German scif, German Schiff, Icelandic skip, Old English scip (“ship”), Old Norse skipja (“to fit out a ship”). See ship.
Meanings of its derivative "equipage" may have been influenced by Latin equus = "horse".
- (transitive) To furnish for service, or against a need or exigency; to fit out; to supply with whatever is necessary to efficient action in any way; to provide with arms or an armament, stores, munitions, rigging, etc.; -- said especially of ships and of troops.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Dryden to this entry?).
- Gave orders for equipping a considerable fleet. (Can we date this quote by Ludlow and provide title, author's full name, and other details?)
- (transitive) To dress up; to array; accouter.
- The country are led astray in following the town, and equipped in a ridiculous habit, when they fancy themselves in the height of the mode. (Can we date this quote by Addison and provide title, author's full name, and other details?)
- (transitive) To prepare (someone) with a skill
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
equip m (plural equips)
- “equip” in Diccionari de la llengua catalana, segona edició, Institut d’Estudis Catalans.
- “equip” in Gran Diccionari de la Llengua Catalana, Grup Enciclopèdia Catalana.
- “equip” in Diccionari normatiu valencià, Acadèmia Valenciana de la Llengua.
- “equip” in Diccionari català-valencià-balear, Antoni Maria Alcover and Francesc de Borja Moll, 1962.