- (transitive) To get away from by cunning; to avoid using dexterity, subterfuge, address, or ingenuity; to cleverly escape from
- He evaded his opponent's blows.
- The robbers evaded the police.
- to evade the force of an argument
- 1847, Richard Chenevix Trench, Notes on the Miracles of Our Lord
- The heathen had a method, more truly their own, of evading the Christian miracles.
- 2004 "Moving Through Other Characters", GURPS Basic Set: Campaigns, page 368
- “Evading” is moving through ground occupied by an opponent without trying to knock him down. You can attempt this as part of any maneuver that allows movement, provided you can move fast enough to go past your foe – not just up to him.
- 2007 "Obstruction", GURPS Martial Arts, page 106
- If someone tries to evade you from the front (see Evading, p. B368) and you have a melee weapon that can parry, you may roll against weapon skill instead of DX in the Contest. You keep him from evading if you win or tie
- (transitive) To escape; to slip away; — sometimes with from.
- 1622, Francis, Lord Verulam, Viscount St. Alban [i.e. Francis Bacon], The Historie of the Raigne of King Henry the Seventh, […], London: […] W[illiam] Stansby for Matthew Lownes, and William Barret, OCLC 1086746628:
- Evading from perils.
- 1667, John Milton, “Book VI”, in Paradise Lost. A Poem Written in Ten Books, London: […] [Samuel Simmons], […], OCLC 228722708; republished as Paradise Lost in Ten Books: […], London: Basil Montagu Pickering […], 1873, OCLC 230729554:
- Unarmed they might / Have easily, as spirits evaded swift / By quick contraction or remove.
- (intransitive) To attempt to escape; to practice artifice or sophistry, for the purpose of eluding.
(cleverly escape from):
to avoid by dexterity, subterfuge, elude
to escape or slip away
to attempt to escape
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text
- Rhymes: -adʒi
- third-person singular (ele and ela, also used with você and others) present indicative of evadir
- second-person singular (tu, sometimes used with você) affirmative imperative of evadir