- (idiomatic) Almost; nearly.
- It is next to impossible to get him to admit it, but he writes very well.
- Beside; alongside.
- Do you mind if I sit next to you?
- Immediately following or preceding in a sequence; just subsequent or previous.
- When you start the next to last roll, get some more paper.
- Compared to.
2013 August 10, “A new prescription”, in The Economist, volume 408, number 8848:
- As the world's drug habit shows, governments are failing in their quest to monitor every London window-box and Andean hillside for banned plants. But even that Sisyphean task looks easy next to the fight against synthetic drugs.