- The time of day when the sun disappears below the western horizon.
- The changes in color of the sky at sunset.
- (figuratively) The final period of the life of a person or thing.
- 'Tis the sunset of life gives me mystical lore.
- one's sunset years
- (attributively) Having a set termination date.
- The tax increase legislation included a sunset clause requiring renewal to prevent the tax increase from expiring.
- The region where the sun sets; the west.
- (time): dusk, sundown (US), nightfall, twilight
- (change in color of the sky at sunset):
- (final period of life): end, final act, swansong
- (attributively: of or relating to the final period of life): last, terminal, twilight
time of day
changes in color of sky at sunset
final period of life
attributively: of or relating to the final period of life
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- (business, politics, transitive) To phase out.
- We'll be sunsetting version 1.9 of the software shortly after releasing version 2.0 next quarter.
- ^ Chambers Dictionary of Etymology, Robert K. Barnhart (ed.), Chambers, 1988