Sense 3 (“branch of a Chinese underground criminal society”) is due to the word being applied by the British authorities to underground society in Hong Kong based on the geometry of the Chinese character.
triad (plural triads)
- A grouping of three.
- 2000, David Pierce, Irish Writing in the Twentieth Century: A Reader, page 625:
- There are, says the Irish triad, 'three fewnesses that are better than plenty: a fewness of fine words; a fewness of cows on grass; a fewness of good friends around good ale'. As an Ulsterman I would agree.
- A word of three syllables.
- Synonym: trisyllable
- A branch of a Chinese underground criminal society, mostly based in Hong Kong.
- (electronics) on a CRT display, a group of three neighbouring phosphor dots, coloured green, red, and blue.
- (music) A chord consisting of a root tone, the tone two degrees higher, and the tone four degrees higher in a given scale.
- (group) monad, duad/dyad, triad, tetrad, pentad, hexad, hebdomad/heptad, ogdoad/octad, ennead/nonad, decad/decade, hendecad, dodecad/duodecade, chiliad
- (word of four syllables): quaternion
grouping of three