Alternative forms edit
- (Central Vietnam, Southern Vietnam) vô (no diphthongization)
The Northern Old Vietnamese form is attested in Phật thuyết đại báo phụ mẫu ân trọng kinh (佛說大報父母恩重經) as 包 (SV: bao), showing that diphthongization already took place in these dialects by then. The Central-Southern form vô started showing up on texts much later, spelled chiefly as 無 (SV: vô), without diphthongization.
The usage of vào (especially in writing) by speakers of Central-Southern dialects can be contributed to borrowing from Northern dialects. On the other hand, the undiphthongized Southern form with palatal initial latter spread to the Northern and Central dialects as an interjection.
Most prepositions in Vietnamese were originally verbs: cho (“to give; for”), đến (“to come; to”), tới (“to arrive; to”), lên (“to go up; onto”), ở (“to stay; at, in”), theo (“to follow; according to”), về (“to return; about”).
- (Hà Nội) IPA(key): [vaːw˨˩]
- (Huế) IPA(key): [vaːw˦˩]
- (Hồ Chí Minh City) IPA(key): [vaːw˨˩] ~ [jaːw˨˩]
- (transitive) to enter
- vào nhà ― to enter the/a house
- Xe đi vào trung tâm thành phố.
- The car goes into the city center.
- (transitive, by extension) to go southwards in Vietnam
- (transitive) to become a member of; to join
- vào hội ― to join the/an association
- vào tù ― to enter prison; to become a prisoner
- (transitive) to join in, to participate in
- vào tiệc ― to join a party
- vào đám ― to join the crowd
- (transitive) to begin (a new chapter in time)
- vào năm học mới ― to start a new school year
- vào hè ― to begin one's summer
- (transitive) to abide by, to conform to
- vào quy củ ― to work according to a methodology
- vào khuôn phép ― to abide by a code of conduct
- Công việc đã vào nền nếp.
- The task has become second nature.
- (transitive) to attain, to achieve
- Một người thợ vào loại giỏi.
- A worker becomes skilled.
- học vào loại trung bình ― to be average in one's studies
- (intransitive, figuratively) to comprehend
- Có tập trung tư tưởng thì học [nó] mới vào.
- Only by concentrating one's thoughts does one comprehend one's studies.
- Đầu óc rối bời, đọc mãi mà [nó] không vào.
- With his/her head in such a jumble, he/she keeps reading but [it] doesn't click.
- (intransitive, soccer) (of a ball) to enter the goal
- Sút! Vào!
- He shoots! He scores! [Shoot! It's in!]
- vô (southern Vietnam, central Vietnam)
- (to begin): bắt đầu
- (to join in): tham gia
- (to become a member of): gia nhập
- (to abide by): tuân theo
- (to enter): ra
- (to join): vô
- (to join in): vô
- (to begin): xong
- (to abide by): trái
- (to enter the goal): chệch
See also edit
- in, into, upon
- vào trong ― inside of
- nhìn vào trong nhà ― to look inside the/a house
- quay mặt vào tường ― to turn and look at the wall
- dựa vào ― based upon; to base upon
- hướng vào ― to go into
- during, on
- vào dịp Tết ― on the occasion of Tet
- vào lúc khó khăn ― during a time of difficulty
Derived terms edit
See also edit
- Used at the end of a clause or sentence to ask the listener to do something vigorously.
- Làm nhanh vào!
- Do it quickly!
- Mặc thật ấm vào kẻo lạnh.
- Dress truly warmly or you'll be cold.
- Used at the end of a clause of sentence, usually after lắm or nhiều, to speak critically or reproachfully about excess, implying obvious bad consequences.
- Chơi lắm vào, bây giờ thi trượt.
- Played so much – now your test scores are falling.
- Ăn kẹo cho lắm vào để bị đau bụng.
- You ate so much candy that you got a stomach ache.