Variant of 臼.
The reformative usage in simplified Chinese and Japanese that replaced 舊 can be analysed either as from an elimination of 雈 with glyphic alteration from 臼 to 旧 or as using a homophonic character.
旧 (Kangxi radical 72, 日+1, 5 strokes, cangjie input 中日 (LA), composition ⿰丨日)
- Kangxi Dictionary: not present, would follow page 489, character 5
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 13737
- Dae Jaweon: page 850, character 4
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 2, page 1483, character 2
- Unihan data for U+65E7
Graphical variant of 臼 (jiù), which is also the phonetic component of 舊 (jiù) and 舅 (jiù).
|For pronunciation and definitions of 旧 – see 臼 (“mortar; etc.”).|
(This character, 旧, is a variant form of 臼.)
(grade 5 “Kyōiku” kanji, shinjitai kanji, kyūjitai form 舊)
旧 • (kyū) ←きう (kiu)?
- old things, original state, former state, old times
- the old calendar based on a lunar system
旧 • (furu)
- used item, secondhand item
旧 • (kyū-) ←きう (kiu)?
- paleo-, ex-, old, previous, former
- Sekai Heiwa Tōitsu Katei Rengō (kyū-Tōitsu Kyōkai)
- Family Federation for World Peace and Unification (former Unification Church)
- formerly known as Twitter
旧 • (furu-)
- paleo-, old, used, previous