- KangXi: page 469, character 25
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 13161
- Dae Jaweon: page 820, character 5
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 2, page 1453, character 5
- Unihan data for U+6545
|simp. and trad.
|Historical forms of the character 故|
|Western Zhou||Spring and Autumn||Warring States||Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)||Liushutong (compiled in Ming)|
|Bronze inscriptions||Bronze inscriptions||Chu Slip and silk script||Small seal script||Transcribed ancient scripts|
Derivative of 古 (, “old”). The sense “cause, reason” may be related too (“thing or person of former times”), or the same word as *kaːʔ固 (, “solid, secure, sure”) ( *kaːsSchuessler 2007, apud Pulleyblank 1989).
- old; of the past
- cause; reason
- accident; misfortune; unexpected event
- past things; antiquity
- old friend; good friend; close friend
- to die; to pass away
- 已故 ― yǐgù ― deceased [lit. has passed away]
- deceased; dead
- formerly; originally
- intentionally; deliberately
- still; as before
- therefore; so
- 我思故我在 ― wǒ sī gù wǒ zài ― I think, therefore I am
- 故名「北京」 / 故名“北京” ― gù míng “běijīng” ― hence the name "Northern Capital"
- 故上悖日月之明，下爍山川之精，中墮四時之施，惴耎之蟲，肖翹之物，莫不失其性。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: Zhuangzi, circa 3rd – 2nd centuries BCE, translated based on James Legge's version
- Gù shàng bèi rìyuè zhī míng, xià shuò shānchuān zhī jīng, zhōng duò sìshí zhī shī, zhuìnuò zhī chóng, xiàoqiào zhī wù, mòbù shī qí xìng. [Pinyin]
- It is just as if, above, the brightness of the sun and moon were darkened; as if, beneath, the productive vigour of the hills and streams were dried up; and as if, between, the operation of the four seasons were brought to an end: in which case there would not be a single weak and wriggling insect, nor any plant that grows up, which would not lose its proper nature.
故上悖日月之明，下烁山川之精，中堕四时之施，惴耎之虫，肖翘之物，莫不失其性。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- (to die):
- (therefore; so):
Synonyms of 故
Derived terms from 故
- → Proto-Tai: *kawᴮ (“old”)
|Kanji in this term|
- (in 고향 (故鄕, gohyang)):
- (old; cause; accident; etc.):
- Hanja form? of 고 (“old; ancient”).
- Hanja form? of 고 (“cause; reason”).
- Hanja form? of 고 (“accident; unexpected event”).
- Hanja form? of 고 (“late (deceased)”).
- 국제퇴계학회 대구경북지부 (國際退溪學會 大邱慶北支部) (2007). Digital Hanja Dictionary, 전자사전／電子字典. 
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text