See also: 旧
- KangXi: page 96, character 16
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 466
- Dae Jaweon: page 204, character 20
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 1, page 136, character 2
- Unihan data for U+4F2F
|simp. and trad.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): baa3, baak3
- Min Nan
- Min Nan
- (archaic) eldest brother
- father's elder brother
- form of address for senior males
- count (rank)
- ⇒ 五等爵位
- In Old Chinese children of a same father are referred to in order as 伯 (1st), 仲 (2nd), 叔 (3rd) and 季 (4th). The usage of 仲 and 季 was later eliminated but 伯 and 叔 remained in use of referring to elder and younger male relatives. Besides, to use 伯仲叔季 in personal names was a common practice in the past, and this is still occasionally seen nowadays.
- (Min Nan) “Entry #2865”, in 臺灣閩南語常用詞辭典 [Dictionary of Frequently-Used Taiwan Minnan] (in Chinese and Min Nan), Ministry of Education, R.O.C., 2011.
- Goon: ひゃく (hyaku) (non-Jōyō reading), へ (he) (non-Jōyō reading)
- Kan’on: はく (haku), は (ha)
- Kun: おさ (osa), はたがしら (hatagashira)
- Name (hangeul): 맏, 우두머리, 큰아버지, 백작()
- (맏 백, mat-): eldest (elder) brother
- (우두머리 백, udumeori-): chief, chieftain, feudal rank count, earl (abolished in the late 14th century)