- Of or pertaining to a mother; having the characteristics of a mother, motherly.
- His weakness seemed to bring out her maternal instincts.
- (attributive) Related through the mother, or her side of the family.
- Toby is my maternal uncle.
- (anatomy, medicine) Derived from the mother as opposed to the foetus during pregnancy.
- paternal – father
of or pertaining to a mother
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- (Balearic) IPA(key): /mə.təɾˈnal/
- (Central) IPA(key): /mə.tərˈnal/
- (Valencian) IPA(key): /ma.teɾˈnal/
maternal (masculine and feminine plural maternals)
- Synonym of
- Hyphenation: ma‧ter‧nal
- maternal (of or relating to mothers)
maternal m (plural maternais)
- a school for young children