- Noun (delay sense), verb
- Noun (offensive slang sense)
retard (plural retards)
- Retardation; delay.
- (music) A slowing down of the tempo; a ritardando.
- (offensive, dated) A person with mental retardation.
- The retard in our class needs special help.
- (offensive, vulgar) A stupid person, or one who is slow to learn.
Through the euphemism treadmill, the term retard (which originated as a neutral substitute for the terms that had previously designated those with disabilities, namely idiot, imbecile, and moron) has come to be considered offensive; see Wikipedia for more. In a 2003 survey by the BBC, retard was voted the most offensive word relating to disability, followed by spastic.
- (retardation): delay, hold-up, retardation
- (person with mental retardation): retarded, idiot, tard (offensive), imbecile (disused medical term), mental deficient (legal term), moron (disused medical term), person with learning difficulties
- (stupid person): See also Thesaurus:fool
- (transitive) To keep delaying; to continue to hinder; to prevent from progress
- (transitive) To put off; to postpone.
- to retard the attacks of old age
- to retard a rupture between nations
- (transitive, obsolete) To be slow or dilatory to perform (something).
- (intransitive) To decelerate; to slow down.
- (intransitive, obsolete) To stay back.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Sir Thomas Browne to this entry?)
- (keep delaying; continue to hinder): decelerate, hinder, slow, slow down; See also Thesaurus:hinder
- (postpone): postpone, put off; See also Thesaurus:procrastinate
- (slow to perform): reluctant
- (decelerate): decelerate, slow, slow down, slow up
- (stay back): hang back, stay back; See also Thesaurus:tarry
- (keep delaying; continue to hinder): accelerate, speed, speed up
- (stay back): come forward