- Greater than normal quantity or importance, as in ultrasecret.
- Beyond, on the far side of, as in ultraviolet.
- Beyond, outside of, as in ultrasonic.
- Excessively, to an extreme, as in ultramicroscopic, ultra-careful.
2013 May 17, George Monbiot, “Money just makes the rich suffer”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 23, page 19:
- In order to grant the rich these pleasures, the social contract is reconfigured. […] The public realm is privatised, the regulations restraining the ultra-wealthy and the companies they control are abandoned, and Edwardian levels of inequality are almost fetishised.
- Productive in all senses. The hyphen is included when the use is relatively unfamiliar, as in ultra-careful.
greater than normal quantity or importance
beyond, on the far side of
excessively, to an extreme
- ultra- (beyond, on the far side of; beyond, outside of)
- (informal) ultra- (greater than normal quantity or importance, excessively, to an extreme)
- ultra- (as for English)