- A Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China just west of Hong Kong, previously under Portuguese control.
- Within 20 years, Macau had become an international city and one of the richest places on earth, thanks to investment in the cargoes shipped through the port.
- Aomen (especially in the Chinese media)
a city just west of Hong Kong
- ^ Wu, Z., and G. Jin. "The evolution of spellings of ‘Macau’: An examination of early Portuguese and Western archival materials." Macao–cultural interaction and literary representations (2014): 3-11.
- “Macau”, in Merriam–Webster Online Dictionary.
- Macao (obsolete)