baas (plural baases)
- (South Africa) An employer, a boss. Frequently as a form of address.
- plural of
- Third-person singular simple present indicative form of baa
baas (plural [please provide])
- 2007. The UCLA Phonetics Lab Archive. Los Angeles, CA: UCLA Department of Linguistics.
From Middle Dutch baes (“master of a household, friend”), from Old Dutch *baso (“uncle, kinsman”), from Proto-Germanic *baswô. Cognates include Middle Low German bās (“supervisor, foreman”), Old Frisian bas (“master”); possibly also Old High German basa ("father's sister, cousin"; > German Base (“aunt, cousin”)).
- boss, chief, superior
- employer, manager
- (Belgium) strong or tough guy
- (video games) boss
- (figuratively) crack, master, expert at something
- (figuratively) whopper, large one in its kind
- (diminutive: baasje) fellow, boy, especially a youngling or novice