See also: calqué
calque (plural calques)
- (linguistics, translation studies) A word or phrase in a language formed by word-for-word or morpheme-by-morpheme translation of a word in another language.
word formed by word-for-word translation of a word in another language
- (linguistics, translation studies) To adopt (a word or phrase) from one language to another by semantic translation of its parts.
adopt a word by translation of its parts
calque m (plural calques)
- tracing (the reproduction of an image made by copying it through translucent paper)
- (lexicography) calque, loan translation
- (computer graphics) layer
- “calque” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- Rhymes: -awki
- inflection of :