See also: Appendix:Variations of "er"
- Inseparable verbal prefix that indicates the cause or beginning of an action.
- Inseparable verbal prefix that indicates a successful conclusion, leads to the wanted result.
- Inseparable verbal prefix that indicates killing or dying.
- Prefix signifying a notion of getting something (either by conscious effort or (rarely) producing the effect of coming to have it unintentionally) by specific means.
- er- + arbeiten 'to work' -> erarbeiten 'to gain something by means of working for it'