guillotine (plural guillotines)
- A machine used for the application of capital punishment by decapitation, consisting of a tall upright frame from which is suspended a heavy diagonal-edged blade.
- A device used for cutting stacks of paper to straight edges, usually by means of a hinged blade attached to a flat platform.
- (politics, informal) A cloture; a motion that debate be ended and a vote taken.
- A surgical instrument for cutting the tonsils.
machine used for capital punishment
device that cuts paper
- (transitive) To execute, cut or cut short (a person, a stack of paper or a debate) by use of a guillotine.
- (transitive) To end discussion on a parliamentary bill by invoking cloture.
execute by use of a guillotine
guillotine f (plural guillotines)
- guillotine (machine)
- first-person singular present indicative of
- third-person singular present indicative of
- first-person singular present subjunctive of
- third-person singular present subjunctive of
- second-person singular imperative of
- “guillotine” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- Formal second-person singular (usted) imperative form of guillotinar.
- First-person singular (yo) present subjunctive form of guillotinar.
- Formal second-person singular (usted) present subjunctive form of guillotinar.
- Third-person singular (él, ella, also used with usted?) present subjunctive form of guillotinar.