audio (US) (file)
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɹuːlə(ɹ)/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɹulɚ/
- Rhymes: -uːlə(ɹ)
ruler (plural rulers)
- A (usually rigid), flat, rectangular measuring or drawing device with graduations in units of measurement; a straightedge with markings.
- A person who rules or governs; someone or something that exercises dominion or controlling power over others.
- See Thesaurus:ruler
measuring or drawing device
person who rules or governs
a female person who rules or governs
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
- (transitive) To beat with a ruler (as a traditional school punishment).
- ruler in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- ruler in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
- ruler on Wikimedia Commons.Wikimedia Commons
- Hyphenation: ru‧ler
- a ruler