桂 (radical 75 木+6, 10 strokes, cangjie input 木土土 (DGG), four-corner 44914)
- osmanthus, sweet osmanthus
- cassia, Chinese cinnamon
- true cinnamon, Saigon cinnamon, Indonesian cinnamon
- laurel, bay laurel
- Of or relating to Guilin, Guangxi, or the region of the Gui River
- KangXi: page 525, character 2
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 14755
- Dae Jaweon: page 913, character 5
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 2, page 1193, character 5
- Unihan data for U+6842
桂 (Yale gwai3)
From Old Japanese. Originally a compound of 香 (ka, “fragrance, good smell”) + 出 (zu, “to come out, to put something out”) + ら (ra, nominalizing suffix): "that which puts out a good smell", from the way the wood smells good.
- 楓 (uncommon)
- the katsura tree, Cercidiphyllum japonicum, also called the Japanese Judas tree
- less commonly, the smaller Cercidiphyllum magnificum tree, more specifically called the 広葉桂 or ヒロハカツラ (hiroha katsura, “broadleaf katsura”).
- a tree on the moon, from a Chinese legend that the phases of the moon were caused by Lauraceae trees budding, blossoming, then dropping their flowers and leaves again as if in accelerated seasons
- julienned raw daikon, used as a garnish for sashimi
- alternate word for 肉桂 (nikkei, “the cinnamon or cassia tree”) or 桂皮 (keihi, “cinnamon or cassia bark”)
- 桂男 (かつらおとこ, katsura otoko): the katsura man, a character in the Chinese legend who lives on the moon
From Old Japanese. Alternate spelling for 女桂 (mekatsura, “female katsura”), an archaic name for the cinnamon tree. Compare 男桂 (okatsura, “male katsura: the katsura tree”). Appears with this reading in the 和名類聚抄 (Wamyō Ruijushō), a Japanese dictionary of Chinese characters completed in 938.
- 女桂 (めかつら, mekatsura)
桂 (hiragana めかつら, romaji mekatsura)
From Sinitic 桂.
- the cinnamon or cassia tree
- common name for various other trees in family Lauraceae
- in China, the 木犀 (mokusei) or sweet osmanthus tree
From a Chinese legend that the phases of the moon were caused by kei trees, which would bud, blossom, then drop their flowers and leaves again as if in accelerated seasons.
- 桂馬 (けいま, keima)
Read in another language
This page is available in 7 languages