- Etymology 1
- Simplified from 厰 (elimination of 敞).
- Etymology 2
- Pictogram (象形) – a cliff.
|For pronunciation and definitions of 厂 – see 廠 (“shack; shed; etc.”).|
(This character, 厂, is the simplified form of 廠.)
From the stem *ŋaʔ (“to oppose; to resist”), i.e. “that which resists (the river's flow)”, with a voiceless initial (used to signify that that the noun refers to a natural object) and a general noun suffix *-n; related to 岸 (OC *ŋɡaːns, “bank; shore”), 滸 (OC *hŋaːʔ, “riverbank”) (Schuessler, 2007).
- † cliff; habitable cave on a cliff
- Alternative form of 庵 (ān), usually used in names.
- As a component of other characters, 厂 can be referred to as 偏廠兒／偏厂儿 (piānchǎngr) or 廠字頭／厂字头 (chǎngzìtóu).
厂 • (eom, han) (hangeul 엄, 한, McCune–Reischauer ŏm, han)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text