Wiktionary > Discussion rooms > Information desk
You can search in the archives of Information desk:
|Wiktionary discussion rooms (edit) see also: requests|
new | archives
Newcomers’ questions, minor problems, specific requests for information or assistance.
new | archives
Questions and discussions about specific words.
new | archives
Questions and discussions about etymology—the historical development of words.
new | archives
General policy discussions and proposals, requests for permissions and major announcements.
new | archives
Technical questions, requests and discussions.
|All Wiktionary: namespace discussions 1 2 3 4 5 – All discussion pages 1 2 3 4 5|
Welcome to the Information desk of Wiktionary, a place where users can ask questions about words and about Wiktionary, ask for help, or post miscellaneous ideas that don’t fit in any of the other rooms.
To start a new topic, clicking on the “+” tab, or.
Sign your comments with four tildes (~~~~), code which produces your signature, followed by a UTC timestamp.
For past questions, see /Archives.
|Information desk archives edit|
Requesting recommendations for (mnw)Mon WiktionaryEdit
I'm currently working alone on Mon Wiktionary, and I'm having all kinds of technical difficulties. I'm would like to ask anyone for suggestions on how to solve the problems Mon Wiktionary is having. Mon Wiktionary has no contributors, so I'm asking for suggestions in this English Wiktionary, below is a request request for Wiktionary.
- How to deal with Lua error?
- Currently, Module translit function does not work in some languages in Mon Wiktionary, how to solve these issues?, see this page as an example mnw:ကိုဲ, mnw:ကရၢၢ် mnw:ထိမ်ႈ.
- In order to use category non-lemma forms in Mon Wiktionary, which module needs to be translated?
meaning of rare components in Japanese kanjiEdit
maybe you can help. I cannot find anything that tells me what the following component means:
The two kanji where it appears to have more or less the same meaning are
斎 - purification
粛 - solemn
The component also appears in the Japanese kanji for ‘adjust’, ‘finish up’ and ‘dose’, but its impact in those kanji appears to be different.
Looking forward to your reply
oll korrect redundancyEdit
- Thanks for asking. It's okay to have two different capitalizations if the word is actually used with two different styles. —Justin (koavf)❤T☮C☺M☯ 20:24, 12 September 2022 (UTC)
Marked for imminent deletionEdit
Hi. This page "двоюрідна лпемінниця" has been marked for imminent deletion not long after its creation, but no explanation has been included with the tag. Is there somewhere where I can see a reason for this deletion? Thanks. DaveyLiverpool (talk) 12:29, 14 September 2022 (UTC)
- @DaveyLiverpool It’s a misspelling of двоюрідна племінниця (dvojuridna pleminnycja) - the same user that nominated it for deletion created that around the same time. I assume that’s why, though it would have been better to just move the page (or at least give a reason), but as they’re an IP they may not have realised. Theknightwho (talk) 13:11, 14 September 2022 (UTC)
- @Theknightwho Ah, right, I see. Well, I'm glad they noticed the typo because I missed it repeatedly. It's all working fine now. Thanks for clearing that up.
How to switch on this new format of search in English wiktionary?Edit
I just loaded the wiktionary in another language and I was prompted to try a new search function. It enables you to change to different language wiktionaries with a drop down menu in the upper right part of the page banner.
- What language edition was that? 22.214.171.124 01:50, 27 September 2022 (UTC)
Ask for adding genus?Edit
Hello! I add translations but don't know the genus of the words, how can I ask for adding genus? 126.96.36.199 10:51, 21 September 2022 (UTC)
- I don't understand your question. Be very careful adding material if you don't understand it. Equinox ◑ 17:55, 21 September 2022 (UTC)
- Okay! 188.8.131.52 09:53, 22 September 2022 (UTC)
How to request verification for usage notes?Edit
I don't see any explanation on how to request verification for questionable usage notes.2601:180:205:1459:64A7:4F74:57AC:3FD2 18:55, 25 September 2022 (UTC)
Is it possible to fork a page? I wanted to do this to preserve the histories for attribution and so avoid infringing other authors' copyrights.
The use case I have is with ddeufed ar bymtheg and a few other pages constructed from the rare Welsh form deufed (which as a lemma is probably just an updating of the Middle Welsh form to Modern Welsh spelling). The examples of use I could find with Google only found forms showing the soft mutation. However, when I used a different machine, presumably with different settings, I also found one example of the unmutated form, deufed ar bymtheg', which is not a typo and does occur in some accounts of the Welsh system of numbers.
The unsuccessful method I tried was
- Move ddeufed ar bymtheg to deufed ar bymtheg, which will be the main lemma.
- Revert the redirect ddeufed ar bymtheg to the previous version.
This failed at step 2 because the history of ddeufed ar bymtheg started at the creation of the redirect. It looks as though the nearest I can do to preserving the history is to use an attribution comment to refer to deufed ar bymtheg, saying to see that for attribution. That page's history also has other attribution statements. Have I missed a trick?
Which is best and easy editing tool for graphics?Edit
Anybody here has used effcectum ocean? I want to start editing and take it as a profession which is the best tool for editing. I have an option for effcectum Is it easy to use? Waqahashmi (talk) 06:30, 7 October 2022 (UTC)