- (General American, Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɪmˈplaɪ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -aɪ
- Hyphenation: im‧ply
- (transitive, of a proposition) to have as a necessary consequence
- The proposition that "all dogs are mammals" implies that my dog is a mammal.
- (transitive, of a person) to suggest by logical inference
- When I state that your dog is brown, I am not implying that all dogs are brown.
- (transitive, of a person or proposition) to hint; to insinuate; to suggest tacitly and avoid a direct statement
- What do you mean "we need to be more careful with hygiene"? Are you implying that I don't wash my hands?
- (archaic) to enfold, entangle.
conjugation of imply
|present||I imply||we imply||I am implying||we are implying||I have implied||we have implied||I have been implying||we have been implying|
|you imply||you imply||you are implying||you are implying||you have implied||you have implied||you have been implying||you have been implying|
|he implies||they imply||he is implying||they are implying||he has implied||they have implied||he has been implying||they have been implying|
|past||I implied||we implied||I was implying||we were implying||I had implied||we had implied||I had been implying||we had been implying|
|you implied||you implied||you were implying||you were implying||you had implied||you had implied||you had been implying||you had been implying|
|he implied||they implied||he was implying||they were implying||he had implied||they had implied||he had been implying||they had been implying|
|future||I will imply||we will imply||I will be implying||we will be implying||I will have implied||we will have implied||I will have been implying||we will have been implying|
|you will imply||you will imply||you will be implying||you will be implying||you will have implied||you will have implied||you will have been implying||you will have been implying|
|he will imply||they will imply||he will be implying||they will be implying||he will have implied||they will have implied||he will have been implying||they will have been implying|
|conditional||I would imply||we would imply||I would be implying||we would be implying||I would have implied||we would have implied||I would have been implying||we would have been implying|
|you would imply||you would imply||you would be implying||you would be implying||you would have implied||you would have implied||you would have been implying||you would have been implying|
|he would imply||they would imply||he would be implying||they would be implying||he would have implied||they would have implied||he would have been implying||they would have been implying|
to have as a consequence
to suggest by a logical inference
to express suggestively rather than as a direct statement