- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsɔ.ti/, /sɔˈti/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈsɔɹ.ti/, /sɔɹˈti/
sortie (plural sorties)
- (military) An attack made by troops from a besieged position.
- (military) An operational flight carried out by a single military aircraft.
Russia said it carried out 55 sorties in the last 24 hours.
- (figuratively, sports) An attacking move
an attack made by troops from a besieged position — see sally
an operational flight carried out by a single military aircraft
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- (an offensive military mission): scramble
sortie f (plural sorties)
- exit, way out
- act of exiting
- end; final part of
- release (of a film, book, album etc)
- (school) outing, trip (lasting no longer than a day)
- (military) leave, sally, sortie
- (electronics) output, connector
The meaning "end, release" is used of things such as school, theater etc. where a literal "exit" also occurs.
- “sortie” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).