to go out; to come out; to occur; to produce; to go beyond; to rise; to put forth; to happen; (a measure word for dramas, plays, or operas)
- Cantonese (Jyutping): ceot1 loi4
- Hakka (Sixian, PFS): chhut-lòi
- Jin (Wiktionary): cueh4 lai1-3 / cueh4 lai1-2
- Min Nan
- Wu (Wiktionary): tsheq le (T4)
- Min Nan
- to go from inside to outside (with the speaker being outside); to come out
- to appear; to emerge; to be revealed; to become available
- (as a verbal complement)
- Potential forms include 出得來/出得来 (chūdelái, “can come out, can appear”) and 出不來/出不来 (chūbùlái, “have no way to come out, can not appear”). When it is used after a verb, however, it is 得出來/得出来 (de chūlái), 不出來/不出来 (bù chūlái).
- When it is used after a verb, it is also possible to insert a noun (or a phrase playing the role of a noun) between the two characters, for example, 拿出錢來/拿出钱来 (náchū qián lái, “to take out money”), 拿得出錢來/拿得出钱来 (nádechū qián lái, “to be able to provide out money”).
- (Cantonese) 出嚟