This template automatically converts Catalan words into their IPA pronunciation. The template uses Module:ca-IPA as a back-end.
The template currently only works for single words, not for multi-word combinations. Balearic, Central Catalan and Valencian are currently supported, though in some instances the transcription of stressed E may not correspond to the actual pronunciation of Balearic and Valencian.
- Gives the word that should be converted. If not provided, the word is taken from name of the current page, so you can generally leave this empty. But it can be useful for "pronunciation respellings" of foreign words.
- The letters e and o are ambiguous if they are stressed, since they can indicate open-mid or close-mid vowels – /ɛ ɔ/ or /e o/. As a shortcut, simply place
|òin the first parameter to indicate the pronunciation of the stressed vowel. Use
|ôfor variable cases: open-mid è–ò in Central, close-mid é–ó in Valencian, schwa /ə/ and open-mid ò in Balearic.
- Final -r is generally lost in Central and Balearic, but some words retain it in Central. Provide the word with -rr when it should be retained.
- Compound words and adverbs with -ment have two stressed vowels. Provide the word with two graphic accents.
- The pronunciation of the letter x is ambiguous: the fricative /ʃ/ in inherited words, but the consonant cluster /ks/ or /ɡz/ in learned words. If necessary, spell the word with