See also: chèz
- At the home of
- 2008 February 28, Lisa Forest, “Mind the gap: Empty house, empty nest, empty fridge”, in The Telegraph:
- Even if I say so myself, Christmas chez the Forests is quite a heart-warming affair. For Ben, growing up, it was pure magic - a log fire in the grate, ...
at/in the home of
- (before personal pronouns) to (any specified location)
- Je rentre chez moi. ― I am going home. (literally, “I am going to mine.”)
- at, in (any specified location; used with the names of people or professions)
- chez moi ― at my house (literally, “at mine”)
- chez lui ― at his house (literally, “at his”)
- chez Françoise ― at Françoise’s
- chez le dentiste ― at the dentist
- chez l'avocat ― at the lawyer's office
- in; among (a group of things or people of the same type)
- Cette maladie se voit souvent chez les chiens. ― This illness is often seen among dogs.
- le TDAH chez l'adulte ― ADHD in adults
- in the work of (an author or artist)
- C'est un thème très important chez Baudelaire. ― That is a very important theme in Baudelaire's work.
- le symbolisme des couleurs chez Picasso ― color symbolism in Picasso's work