See also: Frontier
frontier (plural frontiers)
- The part of a country which borders or faces another country or unsettled region
1979, Richard Elphic and Hermann Guilomee (editors), The shaping of South African Society, 1652 - 1820, page 297:
- Unlike a boundary, which evokes the image of a line on a map and demarcates spheres of political control, the frontier is an area where colonisation is taking place....no authority is recognised as legitimate by all parties or is able to excersise undisputed control over the area.
- The most advanced or recent version of something; leading edge.
- the frontier of civilization
- (obsolete) An outwork of a fortification.
- Palisadoes, frontiers, parapets.
Terms derived from frontier
part of a country that fronts or faces another country or an unsettled region
- Lying on the exterior part; bordering; conterminous.
- a frontier town