|push; refuse (responsibility); shove|
extort; knock; to strike; to knock (at a door); to hit
|simp. and trad.
|Literally: “to push or to knock”.|
In fact, he was so engrossed in his deliberation that he did not notice an official's convoy coming, and ran straight into it. He was then taken for questioning on why he failed to avoid the convoy, and he explained that he was deep in thought about a poem he composed. The official whom Jia ran into was Han Yu, a famous Tang dynasty essayist and poet. After deliberation, Han said 敲 (“to knock”) would be a better word choice in this verse, since it highlights the quietness of the night. Jia regarded Han as his “one-character teacher” (一字師), followed his advice, and finalised verses of the poem.
- to deliberate; to think over; to give a thought to; to weigh up; to scrutinize
- 反覆推敲 ― fǎnfù tuīqiāo ― to repeatedly scrutinize
|Kanji in this term|
- revising, polishing of a text
- Suikō ni suikō o kasaneta.
- We made revision on top of revision.
- 2002, Ineko Kondō; Fumi Takano; Mary E Althaus; et. al., Shogakukan Progressive Japanese-English Dictionary, Third Edition, Tokyo: Shōgakukan, →ISBN.